9.11.2007

Remembering 9/11

I woke up this morning and went about my usual business of feeding the kids, doing the dishes, taking a shower and then went to see my doctor. It wasn't until around 11:30am that I had a chance to get online and check my email, etc. and saw articles about 9/11. I felt almost like I did on that day -- removed and distant, because I was so oblivious.

Sept. 11, 2001 I woke up to my alarm clock set to the radio, and heard something about it but didn't listen long enough to understand what they were saying. I got out of bed and took a shower and got ready to go to class. The TV wasn't turned on, so I was still clueless as to what was happening in NYC and DC. I walked to class and the campus seemed almost deserted...I didn't really know why, but just kept on walking to my class. I walked in and sat down, and it wasn't until my friend Gina in my class turned to me with tears in her eyes that I realized something terrible was going on. Then my teacher showed up and said we were all free to go, that class was cancelled today. I still didn't know the whole story, but as we quietly walked out of our classroom we could hear the sound of a TV coming from the upstairs lobby of the building. We walked up the stairs and watched in silent horror at what was happening. Stunned, I turned to walk home...trying to process what was going on. Once I got home, I called in to work (I worked for Continental Airlines at the time) and asked if they needed any extra help before my shift. Yes, of course they did, so I got ready and headed in to work. I just remember everyone's faces being so solemn and it being so quiet -- a place that wasn't usually very quiet because everyone was on the phones, was extremely quiet. I think most of us were operating as robots and just trying to wrap our minds around the atrocity that had taken place. When I got home from work that night, our TV was on, and we all just sat for hours watching those planes crash, over and over and over again. I don't even think I cried that day...I was in too much shock.

Since that day, I've read and watched a lot of things about it, and I still cannot understand it. I cannot understand how people can have such disregard for human life.

I hope and pray that those who lost loved ones that day will be continually comforted.

I miss seeing American flags everywhere...don't you?

No comments: