12.24.2009

I feel Christmas differently as a mother...

"Kissing The Face Of God" by Morgan Weistling

I have loved this painting for years...I don't have one of my own (yet!) but I still love to look at it, even if it's just a tiny copy online. Here's a bit about this painting, by the artist:

"This painting was first inspired by a song that I heard one day. Sometimes, hearing one phrase is all it takes, and then a flood of inspiration follows. The phrase “kissing the face of God” immediately struck me with this powerful image of Mary and the Baby Jesus. It is an image that we have seen depicted many times, but never simply as a mother and her child with real tenderness. I started to contemplate the awesome privilege that Mary was given, being able to hold God in her arms, but also keeping in mind that He was still her baby. This cute little child whom she bore was also God in the flesh. And yet, she cuddled and kissed Him, just as all mothers do with their babies. This thought propelled me right into this painting which I wanted to be a very human representation of divinity. My prayer is that the viewer will be struck, as I am, with the amazing way that God chose to send His Son into this world — in pure humility."

Humility for the mother AND the child. Mother hood is definitely a humbling experience...but the most special experience I know. Knowing how it feels to have carry a baby inside my belly, to give birth, to be overwhelmed by love for such a tiny being and just plain being amazed at the miracle of life, I feel like I can somewhat relate to Mary...as a mother. To cherish those little moments of wonder while gazing into the face of your little one and nuzzling their cheek...those are precious moments of time that are so fleeting. Because we all know all too well how fast it goes by, and that little one grows into a child.

Since I became a mother, every Christmas has meant something a little bit different to me. As my boys grow older, I imagine what it was like for Mary, knowing that her little boy was the Son of God. Talk about humbling! But I know, that in essence, we are all sons and daughters of God...and knowing that helps me have a bit more love and compassion for my own children.

I hope that we may all embrace the Christmas Spirit this season, and do as He commanded, and "love one another."

Merry Christmas!

xoxo, Shari

No comments: