4.08.2007

A True Superhero

Yesterday afternoon I was able to talk to my mom and dad (who live in Shanghai, China) on the phone. My mom mentioned a commercial to me that she has been seeing for the past week or so that is broadcast on their satellite TV. This is what it said:

FICTION: Spiderman
FICTION: Superman
FICTION: Batman

NONFICTION: Jesus Christ,
The world's only REAL superhero.
John 15:13
She said that it grabbed her attention every time and just floored her that it was airing in China of all places. Well, I was touched by it and also inspired to share that message with my primary kids during Singing Time. So, I brought some of Jakob's action figures and his Superman pillow case and asked the kids about heros and what heros do for us. Most of the kids agreed that heros save or rescue us, which was a perfect segue into talking about how Jesus saved us through his atoning sacrifice. I had one of the kids read the scripture and it was so cool. The Spirit was so strong and it was AWESOME!
Today I started teaching "I Know That My Redeemer Lives" from the Hymn book and to be honest I was a bit uncertain about how the kids would do. But, they blew me away! It was so nice to be teaching this song on Easter Sunday and to have the Spirit there was even better. I love those kids and my calling!
On another note...the night before I talked to my mom and dad, we had received a package from them and in it was a message that said something like, "Happy Easter and remember our Savior's atoning sacrifice this season..." So, of course Jakob looks at me and says, "What is 'atoning sacrifice'?" So, then I think, "Ok...here goes!" I started by telling him that Jesus died (bad way to start!) and he immediatedly got teary eyed and with chin quivering said, "But I'm going to miss Jesus!" My mind was racing for something to say to make it a happy story and so I said, "Well, guess what? He's alive now! He was ressurrected!" Then his whole countenance changed and the worry and sadness left his face and was replaced with a joyful smile. Then I was able to tell him more about how the atonement allows us to repent and that we couldn't do that if Jesus didn't suffer for our sins. I think he was catching on, but we'll have to do an FHE about it on Monday to further the discussion. Jakob is just such a sensitive soul, and it is so touching to see how much he really understands. But for a pregnant, hormonal mommy, it just makes for more tears sometimes! (Happy tears of course!) I am an easy crier when not pregnant, so you can imagine how hard it is for me to turn it off when I am pregnant! But I'm not complaining...just explaining.
I hope all of you out there had a wonderful Easter and were able to visit with friends and family and especially take time to reflect on our Savior's sacrifice for each and every one of us.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Awwww!!! That brought tears to my eyes and I can't blame preggo hormones!!! What a little sweetheart you have!

Jennifer B. said...

Singing Time was great--nice job! I was teary too.

Loved your story about Jakob. Your boys are too sweet.

By the way, you've been tagged again.